This page contains a timeline of the history and aircraft of the 167th Airlift Wing. Here you will also find Air National Guard Bowling Museum information and a variety of other Air National Guard historical links.
The 167th Airlift Wing initially constituted as the 369th Fighter Squadron on 20 December 1942 and formally activated on 15 January 1943 and assigned to the 359th Fighter Group from 15 January 1943 to 10 November 1945. The aircraft flown during World War II was the P-47 Thunderbolt (1943-1944) and the P-51 Mustang (1944-1945). The 369th took part in the Air Offensive, Europe; Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland; Ardennes-Alsace; Central Europe Air Combat, EAME Theater. The squadron deactivated on 10 November 1945, redesignated the 167th Fighter Squadron and allotted to the Air National Guard (ANG) on 24 May 1946. Read full history.
ANG Bowling Museum
The 167th Airlift Wing is home to the Air National Guard Bowling Museum. The purpose of the museum is to gather and provide information pertaining to the Air National Guard Bowling Tournament. The tournament is open to all members of the Air National Guard, current and retired as well as their immediate family members. MSgt Greg Propst is the museum point of contact. Click here for more information.
Air National Guard: A Short Story
The Air National Guard as we know it today -- a separate reserve component of the United States Air Force -- was a product of the politics of postwar planning and interservice rivalry during World War II. The men who planned and maneuvered for an independent postwar Air Force during World War II didn't place much faith in the reserves, especially the state-dominated National Guard.