Colonel Martin E. Timko is the Commander of the 167th Airlift Wing, West Virginia Air National Guard, Eastern West Virginia Regional Airport, Martinsburg, West Virginia, a strategic airlift unit flying the C-17A Globemaster III airplane. He is responsible for the training and equipping of over 1,100 military members and the execution of world-wide missions in support of National and State taskings.
Col. Timko earned his commission from the United States Air Force Academy in 1993. He began his flying career as a C-130E (AWADS) Evaluator Navigator while on active duty stationed at Pope Air Force Base, North Carolina. After two tours at Pope AFB, he joined the West Virginia Air National Guard and the 167th Airlift Wing in 2001. At Martinsburg, he served as an Instructor Navigator on the C-130H3 until attending specialized undergraduate pilot training in 2005 when the wing converted to the C-5A Galaxy. Upon his return from C-5 PIQ, he served as the chief of current operations of the 167th Operational Support Squadron until he assumed command of the 167th Airlift Squadron in 2012. In 2016, Timko was named the 167th Operations Group commander. Col. Timko has both deployed and flown missions supporting Operations Joint Endeavour, Joint Guard, Shining Hope, Southern Watch, Coronet Oak, Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom, and Freedom’s Sentinel.
Col. Timko is a Senior Pilot with over 5,000 total flying hours to include both C-5 and C-17 pilot and C-130 navigator hours. He has 190 combat sorties to his credit as well as 140 combat support sorties.
1993 Bachelor of Science Degree in History, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, CO
2003 Associate Degree in Computer Science, ECPI College of Technology, Manassas, VA
2008 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2014 Air War College, by correspondence
1. October 1994 – May 1995, student, joint undergraduate navigator training, 558th/562nd Flying Training Squadron, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
2. June 1995 – March 1997, C-130E mission navigator and executive officer, 41st Airlift Squadron, Pope Air Force Base, N.C.
3. April 1997– June 2000, C-130E instructor navigator and chief of safety, 41st Airlift Squadron, Pope Air Force Base, N.C.
4. July 2000 – August 2001, C-130E standardization and evaluation navigator, 41st Airlift Squadron, Pope Air Force Base, N.C.
5. September 2001 – June 2005, C-130H3 instructor navigator and assistant flight commander, 167th Airlift Squadron, Martinsburg EWVRA, W.Va.
6. July 2005 – August 2006, student, specialized undergraduate pilot training, 37th/48th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
7. September 2006 – April 2008, C-5A first pilot and assistant flight commander, 167th Airlift Squadron, Martinsburg, W.Va.
8. May 2008 – February 2012, C-5A mission pilot and chief of current operations, 167th Operational Support Squadron, Martinsburg, W.Va.
9. March 2012 – December 2015, C-5A mission pilot and Commander, 167th Airlift Squadron, Martinsburg, W.Va.
10. January 2016 – January 2020, C-17A pilot and Commander, 167th Operations Group, Martinsburg, W.Va.
11. January 2020 – Present, Commander, 167th Airlift Wing, Martinsburg, W.Va.
Rating: Senior Pilot / Senior Navigator
Flight hours: More than 5,000
Aircraft flown: C-130E/H3, C-5A and C-17A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters and Valor Device
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with bronze star
Kosovo Campaign Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal with bronze star
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Short
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
Air Force Longevity Service
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with two “M” Devices
STATE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
West Virginia Emergency Service Ribbon with two oak leaf clusters
United States Air Force Academy Association of Graduates (USAFA AOG) - Life Member
International Society of Air Safety Investigators (ISASI) - Associate Member
National Guard Association of the United States (NGAUS) - Life Member
National Guard Association of West Virginia (NGAWV) - Life Member
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 2, 1993
First Lieutenant June 2, 1995
Captain June 2, 1997
Major June 2, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel July 19, 2010
Colonel April 7, 2017
(Current as of Jan 2020)