Space-A Travel

Currently, the 167th Airlift Wing is limited to six (6) Space-A passengers per flight and passengers will be selected for travel based on sign-up time and manifested by category of travel and priority of movement. In addition, the 167th AW cannot guarantee a thru flight once passengers reach their next destination.

The 167th AW adheres to all Transportation Security Administration guidelines; please visit for more information. Passengers are required to present valid government issued identification. Passports, visas, and immunization records are checked, if required, according to the DOD Foreign Clearance Guide. Prior to boarding, passenger ID cards will be matched against the final passenger manifest.

Unique Passengers 4500/24-101
· Differently Abled individuals: If a Differently Abled passenger is selected for a C-5 mission and the passenger can, with assistance, negotiate the internal stairs, he/she can travel. [24-101, Vol 14, PP 24.2.1]

· Pregnant/Post-Partum Women: Pregnant women may be accepted for travel up to 34 weeks of gestation. Post-partum mothers may travel six-weeks after delivery.

· Children: Infants must be at least six-weeks-old to be authorized for travel. Infant car seats are not mandatory for travel aboard Air Mobility Command flights; however, utilization is strongly encouraged. When utilized, car seats must meet Federal Aviation Authority certification requirements.

Billeting: Currently, there is no billeting available on base. Local hotels close to the base, available at travelers' expense are:

Knights Inn
1997 Edwin Miller Blvd.
Martinsburg, WV 25404

Hampton Inn
975 Foxcroft Avenue
Martinsburg, WV 25401
Phone: 304-267-2900

Holiday Inn
301 Foxcroft Avenue
Martinsburg, WV 25401

Days Inn
209 South Viking Way
Martinsburg, WV 25401

Super 8 Motel
2048 Edwin Miller Boulevard
Martinsburg, WV 25404

Comfort Inn
1872 Edwin Miller Boulevard
Martinsburg, WV 25404

Comfort Suites
Route 9 & Short Road
Martinsburg, WV 25402

Hampton Inn - Inwood
4758 Gerrardstown Road
Inwood, WV 25428

Parking: Passengers wishing to park their vehicles on base over night should park in the North Lot. See a Passenger Services Representative for a base map.

Local Shopping: The Base Exchange is open on a limited basis offering a short list of amenities. Other shopping may be found within five (5) miles of the 167th AW in Martinsburg to include the following:
· Kmart: 1287 Winchester Avenue
· Walmart: 800 Foxcroft Avenue
· Martinsburg Mall: 800 Foxcroft Avenue

Ground transportation: Ground transportation is not provided by the 167th Airlift Wing.

Rental cars: Vehicles cannot be rented on the installation and transportation is not provided to rental car dealerships, though the following companies are local to the installation and the Martinsburg area.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car
901 North Queen Street
Martinsburg, WV 25401

Thrifty Car Rental
800 East Moler Avenue
Martinsburg, WV 25401

Hertz Rent-A-Car
5852 Shepherdstown Road
Martinsburg, WV 25401

Restaurants/Provisions: Currently, there are no full service provisions accessible on the installation, though vending machines and coffee are available to passengers while waiting for their flight. No in-flight meals are provided to passengers on any flight, passengers should plan accordingly. For passengers who choose to bring their own provisions, a refrigerator is available for storage of perishable food. Locally, passengers can find a wide array of restaurants, please contact Passenger Services for more information.

Commercial Air Travel: The 167th Airlift Wing does not offer connecting and/or commercial flights. However, connecting flights can be made through the following international airports.
· Dulles International Airport (60 miles)
· Ronald Reagan Washington International Airport (98 miles)
· Thurgood Marshall/Baltimore-Washington International Airport (100 miles)

Passenger Information


People not familiar with the Space A system often do not know the questions to ask to make their travel easier. The following are some of the most common Space A questions and their answers.

QUESTION 1: Is Space A travel a reasonable substitute for travel on a commercial airline?
ANSWER: The answer depends on you! If your travel schedule is flexible and your finances permit for a stay (sometimes in a "high-cost" area), while awaiting movement, space available travel a good travel choice. While some travelers sign up and travel may be the same day, many factors could come together to make buying a commercial ticket your best or only option. Remember, Space A travel success depends on flexibility and good timing.

QUESTION 2: Who determines eligibility to fly Space A?
ANSWER: The four services jointly establish Space A eligibility. AMC's first responsibility is airlifting official DoD traffic. Space A passengers are accommodated only after official duty passengers and cargo.

QUESTION 3: How long does my name stay on the Space A list?
ANSWER: All travelers remain on the register 60 days after registration, or for the duration of their travel orders authorization, or until they are selected for travel, whichever occurs first. Revalidation has been eliminated.

QUESTION 4: What is country sign-up, and how does it affect me?
ANSWER: Under this program, you may sign up for five different countries rather than five different destinations. You are also eligible for the "ALL" sign-up which makes you eligible for all other destinations served. This gives you a greater selection of destinations from which to choose.

QUESTION 5: What is remote sign-up?
ANSWER: Remote sign-up allows passengers to enter the backlog by telefaxing copies of proper service documentation along with desired country destinations and family members first names to the aerial port of departure. The telefax data header will establish date/time of sign-up; therefore, active duty personnel must ensure the telefax is sent no earlier than the effective date of leave. Mail entries will also be permitted. The original date and time of sign-up shall be documented and stay with the passenger until his or her destination is reached. On reaching destination, the passenger may again sign-up for space available travel to return to home station.
NOTE: If applicable, a statement that all required border clearance documents are current, is required.

QUESTION 6: What is self sign-up?
ANSWER: Self sign-up is a program that allows passengers to sign-up at a terminal without waiting in line. Most locations now provide self sign-up counters with easy to follow instructions for registration. Active duty personnel must ensure sign-up takes place no earlier than the effective date of leave. If your travel will take you to a foreign country, ensure border clearance documentation is up to date. If you are unsure, verify it with a passenger service representative on duty.

QUESTION 7: How can I find where my name is on the Space A register?
ANSWER: Each terminal maintains a Space A register (organized by priority and the date and time of registration for travel) that is updated daily. The register is conveniently located in the terminal and directly accessible to you. Travelers may call the terminal direct to find where they stand travel wise.

QUESTION 8: As a Reservist, where can I fly?
ANSWER: Reserve members with DD Form 2 (Red) identification and DD Form 1853 may fly to, from, and between Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the CONUS. Additionally, when on active duty, members may fly anywhere overseas that AMC has flights operating.

QUESTION 9: As a Retiree, where can I fly?
ANSWER: Retired members with DD Form 2 (Blue) identification card may fly anywhere AMC has flights operating, including the CONUS.

QUESTION 10: Where and when can my family members travel with me?
ANSWER: Except EML and emergency travel, family members must be accompanied by the sponsor to fly Space A. Family members may travel to/from and between overseas locations but not within the CONUS unless manifested on domestic leg segments of international travel.

CHANGE: Expanded space available travel privileges for dependents of active duty military members went into effect Oct 20, 1995.

Under the new rules: Dependents of active duty members may travel within the continental United States when accompanying their sponsor on emergency leave. One dependent may accompany the sponser on permissive house-hunting trips incident to a permanent change of station move. Command sponsored dependents stationed overseas are allowed unaccompanied travel to, from, and within the overseas theater (in addition to environmental morale leave previously authorized). Travel restrictions may apply to certain overseas areas as determined by the unified commander.

Members traveling in the last category must have documentation signed by their sponsor's commander verifying command sponsorship during their travels and show to air terminal personnel. This document is only valid for one round-trip from the sponsor's duty location. Family members under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an eligible parent or legal guardian.

These changes do not affect the assignment categories for Space "A" travel.

QUESTION 11: Can I have family members travel with another military member if given power of attorney, other releases, or authority?
ANSWER: No. Family members may only travel when accompanied by their sponsor.

QUESTION 12: I am disabled. Can I have a brother, sister, or friend accompany me to help me?
ANSWER: The only persons permitted to accompany you are your dependents (not in the CONUS) or other persons eligible for Space A travel. Every effort shall be made to transport passengers with disabilities who are otherwise eligible to travel. Passenger service personnel and crew members shall provide assistance in boarding, seating, and deplaning passengers with special needs.

QUESTION 13: Do I have to be in uniform to travel?
ANSWER: Each service determines their own travel uniform policies. Currently, services except the Marine Corps permit appropriate civilian attire on DoD-owned or controlled aircraft. When civilian clothing is worn, use common sense. Attire should be in good taste and not in conflict with accepted attire in the overseas country of departure, transit, or destination, as defined by the DoD Foreign Clearance Guide. It should also be capable of keeping you warm especially on military aircraft.

QUESTION 14: How much baggage can I take?
ANSWER: As a Space A traveler, you may check two pieces of luggage at 70 pounds each per person. Family members traveling together may pool their baggage allowance as long as the total does not exceed the total allowance. You may hand carry only what fits under your seat or in the overhead compartment, if available.

QUESTION 15: Can I pay for excess baggage when flying space available? ANSWER: No. Only duty status passengers may pay for excess baggage.

QUESTION 16: Do you have any recommendations on baggage?
ANSWER: Yes. Travel light, take only essentials. Do not place valuables, medicine, or important documents in your check baggage. Be sure your name and current address are on and inside your bags. AMC terminals have baggage ID tags available for you to use.

QUESTION 17: Can my pet travel with me on a Space A flight?
ANSWER: No. DoD has reserved pet shipments for passengers in permanent change of station (PCS) status. Additionally, travel with pets would be difficult at best due to limited aircraft pet spaces, pet import documentation requirements, and the possibility of quarantine in the event of an aircraft divert.

QUESTION 18: Will Space A travel cost much?
ANSWER: In general, no. Some terminals must collect a head tax or a federal inspection fee from Space A passengers on commercial contract missions. Meals may be purchased at a nominal fee out of most air terminals while traveling on military aircraft. Meal service on AMC Category B full planeload charters is complimentary.

QUESTION 19: What facilities are available at AMC terminals (nursery, BX, snack bar)?
ANSWER: Facilities at most military terminals are generally the same as commercial facilities. Facilities include exchanges, barber shops, snack bars, pay television (free television lounge in some military terminals), traveler assistance, baggage lockers or rooms, United Services Organization (USO) lounges, and nurseries (at major terminals). The type of facility available will vary according to the terminal size and location.

NOTE: Most AMC passenger terminals close at night. Space A travelers should be prepared to defray billeting expenses.

QUESTION 20: What are the trends in the availability of Space A travel? Does it seem as if there will be more or less Space A travel in the coming year?
ANSWER: Although AMC has led efforts to improve Space A travel in the past few years, movement still remains a result of unused seats. Present DoD personnel and budget trends are effecting Space A movement opportunity. AMC is dedicated to putting a passenger in every available seat.

QUESTION 21: What is the best time of the year to travel Space A?
ANSWER: Any time other than peak travel and holidays (December-January and June-August) periods.

QUESTION 22: Is it easier to go to some destinations?
ANSWER: Yes. Places where we fly often (Germany) are much easier than low frequency areas (Australia or New Zealand).

QUESTION 23: Can people travel Space A to Alaska or South America?
ANSWER: Yes. Travelers may obtain Space A travel to Alaska, South America, and other interesting locations; i.e., Australia, New Zealand, etc. Travel to Alaska is relatively easy when departing from the West Coast (Travis AFB, California, and McChord AFB, Washington). Travel to South America and other remote areas is much more difficult. Infrequent flights to remote areas are primarily cargo missions and have few seats available for passenger movement. Expect long waiting periods for movement.

QUESTION 24: I am retired and am traveling on a passport and my flight originated overseas. Where in the CONUS can I fly into?
ANSWER: When traveling on a passport, (family members, retired uniform service, reserve, etc.,) you may return to the CONUS only through authorized ports of entry where customs and immigration clearance is available. While you may depart the CONUS literally from any military airfield, reentry locations for passport holders are limited. Active duty passengers who do not require immigration clearance have more reentry options open.

QUESTION 25: Can I fly on Space A on other than AMC flights?
ANSWER: Yes. Your travel eligibility is for all DoD-owned or controlled aircraft. AMC, however, does not always have knowledge of other command/services' flights. Telephone numbers are available for many of the passenger terminals in the CONUS (see paragraph 11).

QUESTION 26: Can I call the bases for flight information? If so, what are the phone numbers?
ANSWER: We encourage you to call the passenger terminal you plan on traveling through 30-60 days before travel. The terminal will be happy to discuss their flight schedule, Space A backlog, movement forecast, etc.

Contact Information:
For flight or registration inquires contact the Travel Information Desk
at (304) 616-5801 / DSN 242-5801


1. Plan your trip, be flexible, be patient. As a rule of thumb, military ports offer more travel opportunities than commercial gateways (i.e., travel chances are better to Europe from Dover AFB DE than Philadelphia IAP PA).

2. If possible, travel at off-peak Space A travel periods (i.e., peak periods are the summer months after school is dismissed and Christmas holiday season). Historically, Feb-Mar and Oct-Nov are low travel periods.

3. Be as flexible as possible in choosing a destination. If you want to get to Ramstein AB, Germany, consider a flight into Rhein-Main, Germany, or even RAF Mildenhall, United Kingdom, as an alternative. At Mildenhall, try for another flight bound for Germany.

4. When traveling Space A with young children, prepare for possible delays along the way where baby supplies may not be readily available. A good supply of games and books is also recommended. Be aware that a baby's ears, like an adults, are sensitive to altitude pressure changes.

5. Space A is just that--space that is available after all mission requirements are fulfilled. Military aircraft are subject at all times, first and foremost, to DoD mission response.

Contact Information:
For flight or registration inquires contact the Travel Information Desk at (304)616-5801/ DSN 242-5801.


Travelers remain on the register for 60 days or the duration of their travel orders or authorization, whichever occurs first.

When you register, you are assigned a category of travel (see eligibility) and compete for seats within categories based on the date and time of registration. This date and time of sign-up is yours through to destination, however, you must check in at each intrasit terminal within (6)six hours of arrival. A new date and time will be issued when you register for your return travel. You have the option to stand by for any flight you believe you may have a reasonable opportunity on which to travel. Passengers are not required to attend every flight selection process.

Space required passengers or cargo may require the removal of Space A passengers at any point. If removed en route, you may re-register with your original date and time of registration. AMC passenger agents will assign a new date and time to any country you change or add on your application. Names of all originating space available passengers who depart on a flight will be removed from all destinations. Always be prepared to purchase onward or return commercial transportation, meals, and lodging.

Contact Information:
For flight or registration inquires contact the Travel Information Desk
at (304) 616-5801 / DSN 242-5801


A complete listing of eligible passengers by category is contained in DoD 4515.13-R.
The following is a partial listing of eligible individuals.

Category I:
Emergency travel on a round-trip basis in connection with serious illness, death, or impending death of a member of the immediate family of the following:

United States citizen civilian employees of the DoD stationed overseas.

Full-time, paid personnel of the American Red Cross serving with United States military services overseas.

Uniformed service family members whose sponsors are stationed within the Continental United States (CONUS) and the emergency exists overseas.

Family members of United States citizen civilian employees of the DoD when both sponsor and dependents are stationed overseas at the same location.

Category II:
Sponsors on environmental and morale leave (EML) and accompanied family members.

DoD Dependent School (DoDDS) teachers and their accompanied family members in EML status during school year holiday or vacation periods.

Category III:
Members of the uniformed services in an ordinary or reenlistment leave status and uniformed services patients on convalescent leave. Members on convalescent leave may not travel overseas unless their leave form is so annotated.

Military personnel traveling on permissive temporary duty (TDY) orders for house hunting.

If the permissive TDY is for the purpose of permanent change of station house hunting, the member travels in Category III and can be accompanied by one family member.

Bona fide family members (up to age 23 with a valid identification card) of a service member of the uniformed services when accompanied by their sponsor who is in an ordinary leave status within overseas areas between overseas stations and air terminals in the CONUS.

This privilege does not apply to travel of dependents to or from a sponsor's restricted or unaccompanied tour location or to travel in a leave status to or from TDY locations. It applies only to round-trip travel to an overseas area or the CONUS with the sponsor. DoD 4515.13-R restricts use of these privileges to establish a home for family members in an overseas area or the CONUS.

Foreign exchange service members on permanent duty with the DoD, when in a leave status.

Category IV:
Unaccompanied family members (18 years or older) traveling on EML orders. Family members under 18 must be accompanied by an adult family member who is traveling EML.

DoDDS teachers or family members (accompanied or unaccompanied) in an EML status during summer break.

Category V:
Students whose sponsor is stationed in Alaska or Hawaii.

Students enrolled in a trade school in the CONUS when the sponsor is stationed overseas.

Military personnel traveling on permissive TDY orders for other than house hunting.

Category VI:
Reserve components/members.

Retired military members who are issued DD Form 2 and eligible to receive retired or retainer pay.

Family members (up to age 23 with a valid identification card) of retired members when accompanied by a sponsor.

A. Space available (Space A) eligible travelers may not use their privilege for personal gain or in connection with business enterprises or employment. Space A travel may not be used to establish a home or when international or theater restrictions prohibit such travel.

B. Family members may not travel within the CONUS except as follows: Family members may travel on domestic leg segments of international flights during the beginning or end of their international flight. For example, if a flight originates in Texas, stops in California as part of the mission, and then continues overseas, family members eligible for travel may fly from Texas to the overseas area on the flight. They may not, however, travel just simply Texas to California.

C. Remember Space A seats are normally identified as early as 3-4 hours and as late as 30 minutes prior to departure. Recommend you check with the passenger service center for the space available show time for your flight prior to departing the terminal. Be ready for immediate processing and boarding.

Contact Information:
For flight or registration inquires contact the Travel Information Desk
at (304) 616-5801 / DSN 242-5801


The following Customs and Immigration border clearance list is not all inclusive, but it provides information pertaining to countries AMC serves on a regular basis.

Numbered NOTES:
(1) Proof of United States citizenship.
(2) Passport.
(3) Visa.
(4) Yellow fever vaccination required if entering from an infected area.
(5) Cholera immunization required if entering from an infected area.
(6) Bilingual leave authorization in Portuguese and English or French and English may be used in lieu of passport for military personnel.
(7) Tourist card recommended instead of visa.
(8) Preclearance from United States Defense Attaché Office (USDAO).
(9) Leave authorization containing the following statement may be used in lieu of passport for military personnel:
"La persona a quien esta orden pertenezca esta autorizada por las autoridades militares competentes de los Estados Unidos de America para entrar o salir de Espana en mision oficial vestido de civil o militar."

Lettered NOTES:
(A) Passport or visa requirement does not apply for active duty military personnel. (B) When traveling to Japan for tourist purposes, a visa is not required if length of stay is 90 days or less.

Custom Requirements
*See Numbered Note and Lettered Note above*

ATTENTION: These requirements are subject to change at any time by each country. Recommend you verify the requirements for your destination with an AMC terminal, travel agent, or other airline serving that country well ahead of your anticipated departure date.

Argentina (2)(3)(4)(5)
Australia (2)(3)(4)
Azores Islands (2)(4)(6)
Bahrain (2)(3)(4)
Bermuda (1)
Bolivia (2)(4)(7)
Brazil (2)(3)(4)
Chile (2)(4)
Colombia (2)(3)(4)(8)
Ecuador (2)(4)
Egypt (2)(3)(4)(5)
Germany (2)(A)
Israel (2)(3)
Italy (2)(5)(A)
Japan (2)(3)(A)(B)
New Zealand (2)
Panama (2)(3)(4)(5)
Paraguay (2)(3)(4)
Peru (2)(4)
Republic of Korea (2)(3)(5)(A)
Saudi Arabia (2)(3)(4)
Singapore (2)
Spain (2)(4)(9)
Thailand (2)(3)
Turkey (2)(4)
United Kingdom (2)(A)
Uruguay (2)(4)
Venezuela (2)(3)(4)

Contact Information:
For flight or registration inquires contact the Travel Information Desk
at (304) 616-5801 / DSN 242-5801


Baggage Allowances
Each passenger may check two pieces of checked baggage, 70 pounds each, up to 62 linear inches in size. Family members may pool their baggage allowances. Hand-carried baggage must fit under the seat or in the overhead compartment, if available. Standard issue B-4 duffle bags are authorized to weigh 100 pounds and still considered one piece.
Only one of these bags will be allowed.

C9 Baggage: Limited to two pieces at 55 pounds combined weight.

NOTE: Baggage weight may be limited due to type of aircraft or other restrictions. Check with your Passenger Service Center for more information.

Excess Baggage Fares
Excess baggage is only authorized for passengers traveling on official orders. Charges will be assessed on a per piece basis, based on the passenger fare. Each passenger is authorized two pieces of baggage not to "exceed" 70 pounds each or 62 linear inches. The sum of linear measurements (length/width/height) must not exceed 62 linear inches. Bags larger than 62 linear inches and/or heavier than 70 pounds will be counted as two pieces. Checked baggage exceeding the allowed weight criteria will be counted as an extra piece for each increment of 70 pounds. Piece rate charges are listed here and based on passenger fares.
Pax Fares**
$27 - $60
$61 - $115
$116 - $170
$171 - $230
$231 - $285
Rate per Piece*
$10 Minimum
$50 Pax Fares**
$341 - $400
$401 - $455
$456 - $510
$511 - $570
$571 and above Rate per Piece*
$85 Maximum
* Minimum charge is $10; Maximum charge per piece is $85.
** Passenger fare is basis for charge.

Pet Shipment on AMC Charter Flights
AMC ships pets on most charter flights as a part of the normal service to DoD passengers traveling on official orders authorizing. This service is provided to , , , , Panama, Newfoundland, Azores, Guantanamo Bay, , Guam, and Okinawa . Pet shipment is limited to passengers in a permanent change of station (PCS) status only. Pets are defined as dogs and cats in restricted pet spaces on flights. Reservations are handled on first-come, first-served basis through the local transportation office. The passenger must provide an approved International Air Transport Association container for pet shipment which is available at many exchange/retail stores. The passenger is also responsible and should be prepared to defray any associated costs. Pet shipments are identified in AMC Pamphlet 24-1, "AMC Pet Traffic/Transportation Office."

For additional information on pet shipments, contact the local TMO/ITO/PTO.

Hazardous Material/Articles Aboard Aircraft
Hazardous materials include many common items from your home, workshop, or garage which because of the physical or chemical properties can pose a danger during air transportation. The following is a partial list common items that are strictly forbidden in carry-on or checked baggage:
- Mace, tear gas, and other irritants
- Aerosols containing flammable material
- Loaded firearms
- Gunpowder and primers
- Loose ammunition
- Gasoline, diesel, or kerosene
- Propane, butane cylinders or lighter refills
- Wet-type batteries (as used in cars)
- Safety or "strike-anywhere" matches
- Corrosive material
- Infectious substances
- Radioactive material
- Any equipment containing fuel

The following hazardous articles may be transported in restricted quantities in hand-carried or checked baggage. A restricted quantity is what a passenger would use on a short trip.
- Toiletry articles and medicines containing hazardous substances
- Matches and lighters
- Electronic wheelchairs as checked baggage
- Small arms ammunition for sporting purposes when properly packaged
- Catalytic hair curlers without refills
- Oxygen cylinders used by individuals for medical purposes
- Dry ice in small quantities
- Aerosols intended for personal care (hair sprays and deodorants)
- Lithium batteries located in watches, computers, etc.